Information for Internship Providers
Created in support of the “high-impact educational experiences” and “global experiences” strategies outlined in UVA’s Cornerstone Plan, the Office of Global Internships will celebrate its fourth full year in operation in summer 2018. We are grateful to those internship providers who so generously established positions for students in previous years.
There is overwhelming interest from students across Grounds, in all majors and schools, for internships overseas. Our highly motivated students are eager to contribute their skills, fresh perspectives, and enthusiasm to further your organization's goals; in exchange, students hope to gain cross-cultural and professional experience. In previous internships, University students have conducted research, taught English and foreign languages, assisted in web development and marketing, participated in engineering teams, among many other activities.
What are our guiding aims and principles in supporting student internships abroad?
We wish for:
- student-interns to learn and to be supported in their learning
- internship abroad opportunities to emerge from ethical, reciprocal, respectful relationships with partner organizations and communities
- student-interns to engage with substantive intellectual themes and challenges in their professional experiences
- student-interns to develop appreciation for a diverse range of knowledge producers through their work encounters
- to assist student-interns in developing clear understandings of health, safety, and risk (which is inherent to experience) and to develop tools for managing these matters wisely
What expectations underlie our cultivation and maintenance of internship positions with our partners?
- We will mutually agree upon baseline expectations regarding the nature of the internship position, the intern’s role and responsibilities, and the practical details of the internship experience, as well as outline a customized process for recruitment and selection. We will endeavor to plan for student-interns to participate in meaningful projects and will articulate how their work will contribute to the mission of the organization.
- Student-interns are expected to have a designated supervisor and/or mentor to guide their activities during their work term.
- We will ask our partner organization to identify a dedicated individual to manage communication and coordination with our Office staff and with our student-interns.
- We will act with the understanding that learning and exchange are key aims for everyone involved in the internship arrangement.
If you are interested in publicizing an internship through the Office of Global Internships or designating an exclusive internship for UVA students, please contact Ingrid Hakala, the Office director.